How can we improve Project?

Enhance Capacity/Engagement Heatmap to include assignments without engagements

I think that the Resource Capacity/Engagement Heatmap is an enormously useful feature – I’ve built very similar reports for my customers in the past.

However, the current iteration of this report only shows capacity that is accounted for by engagements, and doesn’t account for any assignments that do not have proposed or committed engagements.

I think that enhancing this page to include information concerning assignments without corresponding engagements would be extremely valuable in two primary scenarios:
1) Identifying cases where resource capacity is being consumed outside of an engagement within the heatmap UX, especially considering that the stated intent of the engagements feature is not to block the PjM from making assignments without a committed engagement

2) Providing value to users migrating into 2016 who, for whatever reason, are not going to go back and create historical engagements or engagements for existing/future work that is already scheduled

93 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Stephen Sanderlin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dirk de Boer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not all our resources are managed via the engament process, so please add a view which shows the heatmeap for all types of resource assignments / scheduled hours.

• Walter Boggs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with Stephen. We use resource plans quite extensively and require the same basic functionality with engagements while adding the new capability. If that is not how things work, our migration to Online will be a lot more work for us.

• Kaare Moss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've already seen this be requested several times and when being answered they answer "what is the reason for that i can't?"

• HJL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the suggestion and the comments. Resource Plan was useful and Resource Engagement does not replace its usefulness.

• Ian Bruckner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I haven't used resource engagements yet, but if it doesn't work the same way that resource plans did, that's a bummer. What I mean is for resource plans you were able to define by project what should be used to calculate Resource Utilization, "Project Plan", "Resource Plan", or "Project Plan until [Date]". That has been very useful and I'd hope it's repeated, except now using the engagements / project plan since resource plans are no more.

Feedback and Knowledge Base