How can we improve Project?

Open multiple instances of Project for side-by-side comparison

I want to be able to compare project plans side by side on multiple screens, similar to Word or Excel. This would require multiple instances of Project to be open at the same time (again, similar to Word or Excel).

347 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joe shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

95 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Zeyad Marachi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is a very essential function to work with ms project, I urge developers to think about it and implement it asap, thank you

• Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For the love of god, please allow project to run multiple instances of the app. As said by everyone else, this is absurd the functionality doesn't exist.

• Vijay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can arrange it vertically manually by dragging the corner of the 2 schedules and pulling the 2 schedules side by side.

• Kelsey Hayes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is ridiculous that this functionality does not exist. The workarounds are clunky and inefficient. All of the other Office applications allow for this--why does Project not allow for multiple instances to be open simultaneously?

• Dave Lapierre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Arrange All" should really be "Arrange Horizontally" and they should at least add "Arrange Vertically" as a temporary solution until multiple windows can be added. The workaround of selecting "Arrange All" then manually resizing each window is time consuming so I only do it once in a while. My guess is that Microsoft wants everything in a browser so desktop apps seem to suffer. If you want real pain try using QuickBooks. Their interface is even worse and reminds me of Windows 3.1 days.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just transitioned to a position requiring heavy project management and so I'm getting my first real exposure to Microsoft Project...

WHY can't we have more than one instance of the application open at once?

It's 2019. I'm certainly looking for a different software solution.

this has been a request for multiple YEARS. Its the only office application that doesn't support this.

• Kent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this too, I have been looking for months on the ability to do this. All the other Office products can do this with no problem, why not MS Project?

• Glenn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Brooke has the right idea or probably the best solution so far. It's what I have done and what drove me to search to see if there was a way to do it with actually having two separate instances of project software open. So based on what I'm reading, "You Can't". Okay, but you can have two separate projects open in one instance of the program being open. It's much easier if you have dual screens on your desk.
    Open the project, click the "Restore Down" button in between the minimize and close button if you are in full screen. If you are NOT in full screen you don't need to do this. Resize the window to fill both screens. Open up your second project and place it in one screen and fill the other screen with the first project. Now you have two projects side by side. Which ever one you click on will be the active screen for modifying and savings. For most people, you will only be working on one and using another as a point of reference. Not ideal, but easy peasy.

• Unhappy Project User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Opening in Internet Explorer works, although I am not sure if there is any loss of functionality doing it this way, as I only used it to view and scroll through the project.

• Dee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well actually you can show what you want but it is not done with a split screen, it is done with a duplicate window of the file. Here's how you do it.

1. Make sure you only have the one Project file open

2. Go to View/Window group/New Window

3. The file you currently have open with be shown, so just hit "OK". That will create a second window for that file

4. Go to View/Window group/Arrange All.

That will give you two separate windows of the same file, one over the other (quasi-split screen). You can then select and scroll each window independently.

• Blessey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can use Internet Explorer to open the *.mpp you want to compare against.

OMG...really??? With the complexity we have to manage, and MS is going to tie our hands like this?

• Brooke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I stumbled across a way to achieve this effect, but you only will have one MS Project instance open. If you open both files at the same time, you can shrink each file so it only fills half your screen at a time. Ribbon functionality seems to be tied to the "active" window; so if you change the view to the network diagram, for example, only the active file view will change.

• Brooke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Me too! I'm doing a PDF compare to try to fill the hole now, but it's insane this functionality is removed. That said, is it a function of Windows10 that is causing the issue, or is it Project?

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base