How can we improve Project?

Open multiple instances of Project for side-by-side comparison

I want to be able to compare project plans side by side on multiple screens, similar to Word or Excel. This would require multiple instances of Project to be open at the same time (again, similar to Word or Excel).

425 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joe shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

116 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Debbie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good Grief people. There is an option on the View Menu to Arrange All and to Switch Windows. Although I understand what you are looking for and it requires a registry setting change.

• Francis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it is now 2019 and this is 'basic' and expected functionality in all other MS office tools - why is this stil not available in MS Project? My specific need (right now), is to move tasks between separate plans for different workstreams in a single programme. Having to context switch between windows whilst doing this is confusing as the tasks are complex and it's easy to loose track. With separate instances on my dual screen setup - this would be a simple task.

• Thelonius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Expecting Project to behave like other MS products is not even thinking outside of the box. It's clearly an in the box expectation. The workarounds are lame. Has MS done a cost benefit analysis and decided it's not worth the cost to bring Project up to speed and satisfy an easily searchable complaint about their product?

• Kwabobble commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fully expand the main window of Project and then when you have multiple files open there are sub windows for each file. Click on the bar that shows the file name and then you can change its size to view and arrange the files beneath it

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An essential feature. If i have prepared a similar project previously it's so handy to be able to view, copy and paste elements from one to the next

• Albert Hay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish you could open two Project files at the same time for comparing and editing. I cannot believe that Micro Soft does not have this feature for this powerful software. :(

• Mike4 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with all the comments. I have to rebuild all the plans due to amateurs getting involved and not understanding basic logic..... 2 instances would be ideal ....

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ridiculous. I still haven't found a work around,. All the suggestions don;t work for me. One screen follow the other and they won't separate! RIDICULOUS MICROSOFT!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base