How can we improve Project?

Open multiple instances of Project for side-by-side comparison

I want to be able to compare project plans side by side on multiple screens, similar to Word or Excel. This would require multiple instances of Project to be open at the same time (again, similar to Word or Excel).

230 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joe shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

67 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I came to this page to find how to view two different .mpp files at the same time. I couldn't find it in the GUI and it didn't even occur to me that Microsoft just doesn't support this feature in MS Project. This is mindblowing! What a simplistic and non-real world view the MS Project team must have of the job of project scheduling. I wish we were using another app.
        [

• JerryB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Closes alternative I've found is to do a "Save As" and select the PDF file format. Note: it is important to rename the file in the process e.g. do not overwrite your existing file name. I also uncheck "Document Properties" and "Document Showing Markup". After the Save As, use the File Explorer to navigate, find and open the new *.PDF file. You can then drag it to another monitor for your comparison process. (Yes, we all agree - another short-sighted Microsoft faux pas)

• Debbie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just searched to see how to open multiple instances, and I'm very disappointed that this is not a supported feature. It's an absolute pain to be flipping back and forth between two tabs. It would be so much easier to compare side by side using two montiors!

• Ted commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel as though I'm being punked...where's Ashton?

Are you serious MS? What in the **** were you thinking with this move?

• HP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just want to add my support to previous comments. Need to be able to open multiple instances of project.

• Peggy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please expedite the ability to open multiple instances of Project!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously, this is something we can do in all other MS programs. I really could benefit from this feature.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are you kidding me? How are we supposed to evaluate 2 versions SIDE BY SIDE. Please make this a priority. We shouldn't have to ask for a function back that was previously there.

Cannot believe this basic function is not available as it with all of the other big players in the MS Suite!

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please. I'm tired of taking screen shots of one timeline and then moving it on my other screen while working on the other timeline.

• Tiago Silva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think all professionals who use MS Project need multiple windows to compare project plans.

Personally, I am incredibly weary of MS products. They are full of defects. And, YES, I want multiple instances of MS Project to run so that I can compare one file to another in side-by-side views.

• Mike England, PMP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a Program Manager of a leading IT company, I need this functionality (and have for a long time). MS Office Excel finally supports multiple windows - why doesn't MS Project? With the price tag, it should do much more that it does.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We live in a world where computers have multiple screens ALL applications should have the option to launch more than one application window to compare multiple files.

Yes, I agree, we should be able to open 2 or more PM files at the same time, this is so important like been able compare different possible scenarios of the same project.

• BobM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My workaround for this is to open one Project file in Internet Explorer by using File Open and Browse to the file, you may get an error saying it cannot open it but it invariably does, then open the other Project file as normal in MSProject seems to work for me and the bonus is that I can have many different project files open in many instances of Internet Explorer. ( I currently have three Project files showing on three different screens)

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base