How can we improve Project?

Implement versioning in Project Online

Similar to the functionality available in Project Server on premise, please implement automatic and nightly backups and the ability to restore from backup project schedules in Project Online.

This way, if a user's schedule becomes corrupted or inadvertently publishes erroneous data, an administrator will be able to restore a previous copy of the schedule to the Project Online tenant without causing Timesheet and data anomalies.

130 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

A.Boggs shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • planner 1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Essential for a complex tool that may be edited by many users with a varying skill set.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We should be able to see past published versions of a timeline. At the Admin level, we should be able to set the number of versions (eg, 10 or 50) based on the number of project plans we have and system performance.

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Versioning is definitely a must. It would be highly beneficial for users to have this. An option to store several drafts (say, a max. of 5).

This would not only enable rollback, but also scenario management for the project manager. I.e. if the PM is awaiting a decision with different outcomes to the plan, then it is ready to be published as soon as the decision is made and work can start immediately.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm the head of a PMO that uses Project Online. Recently I edited one of my PMs project plans, and she said that the dependencies are now incorrect, so she asked me to revert back to the prior version. I was surprised to learn that there is no way to do this in Project Online. This is absolutely critical to a multi-user environment.

• HJL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It has been a real problem for clients not to have this capability

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is a must in a production environment with different people working simultaneously on different projects

talking with MS support staff, the only way to restore a file currently hosted by Project Online is to restore the entire library of projects to a previous time point. This causes extreme headaches and is not a viable option. The Project suite is extremely useful but Online is lacking this extremely important feature.

This is a very worthwhile idea, and I hope that Microsoft implements, the sooner the better!

Feedback and Knowledge Base