How can we improve Project?

Implement versioning in Project Online

Similar to the functionality available in Project Server on premise, please implement automatic and nightly backups and the ability to restore from backup project schedules in Project Online.

This way, if a user's schedule becomes corrupted or inadvertently publishes erroneous data, an administrator will be able to restore a previous copy of the schedule to the Project Online tenant without causing Timesheet and data anomalies.

243 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

A.Boggs shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Pat Edwards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One file out of hundreds is the only one needing to go back and restore a previous version. Please find a way to implement this function. If possible to parallel the former Admin Restore function on project server.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am so surprised that there is version history for all documents and then for the most critical Project Schedule this is a miss! The thought that everyone in this chain had to redo and are still recreating Project from memory cause of loss of data or a restart is mind boggling,

This should have been step one for Project Online, that is the only reason why I would want to have it online for version history, improved capabilities and not on my drive.

Please have the version history enabled - this is too much to keep up.

Unbelievable that this functionality was not implemented for release. I am now dealing with an issue where a project file is corrupted. But means it must be rebuilt instead of simply rolling back to a previous version.

Absolutely unbelievable this isn't part of the product. Microsoft - sort it out.

• Julie H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree - I find it odd that you cannot rollback versions of plans on PWA. My PMs are taking snapshots and saving to a shared network drive just in case anything untoward happens with the plan, but as you can't actually copy over details from on plan to another, the practicality of using that in the future actually makes it useless - unless you then revert to working offline again and not having a synchronized plan on PWA.

Please can you let me know where this sits on your development roadmap?

Please develop this feature as it is imperative to track versions and restore them...

Regards,

• Monica G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I head up a PMO for a national organisation. I implemented Project Online as the project management and tracking solution over the last year and have since been assessing fit with the organisation. We have a number of staff who are asked to manage projects alongside their day job and errors naturally occur. Without the ability to revert to previous checked in versions, I must reconsider the benefit of this tool to our organisation. Users assume that "check-in" implies version control, and therefore safety, in a SharePoint environment. Confidence in the tool must be high in order to drive uptake and recovery facilities are considered a significant factor in our continued use. Please consider priority implementation of this feature.

• Caitlin Young commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is impossible to justify to end users why Project schedules don't have versioning when "everything else" in SharePoint does. With the browser session timeout limit we urge users to Save frequently, however they cannot discard the Draft or rollback to the last Published version. They cannot get a previous version in case of corruption or a mistaken update within the schedule. Even if there are imposed limitations on # of versions, this is a critical function.

• Project Manager commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How clueless are the Microsoft developers to release this without version control.
    It is obvious to everyone that this is a critical feature.

Setting the number of versions (eg, 10 or 50) to keep would be a huge leap forward in order to provide out of the box trending.

• planner 1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Essential for a complex tool that may be edited by many users with a varying skill set.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We should be able to see past published versions of a timeline. At the Admin level, we should be able to set the number of versions (eg, 10 or 50) based on the number of project plans we have and system performance.

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Versioning is definitely a must. It would be highly beneficial for users to have this. An option to store several drafts (say, a max. of 5).

This would not only enable rollback, but also scenario management for the project manager. I.e. if the PM is awaiting a decision with different outcomes to the plan, then it is ready to be published as soon as the decision is made and work can start immediately.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm the head of a PMO that uses Project Online. Recently I edited one of my PMs project plans, and she said that the dependencies are now incorrect, so she asked me to revert back to the prior version. I was surprised to learn that there is no way to do this in Project Online. This is absolutely critical to a multi-user environment.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base