How can we improve Project?

Deep integration with Microsoft Planner

Imagine this: you create a task in MSProject that requires action from a task owner. You click the Link to Planner button and go through the linking process (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/brismith/2017/08/29/microsoft-planner-linking-plans-to-a-project-task/#comment-48795). But instead of just being a link to the Planner plan, you actually see the task as a card on the plan, with Task Name, Start Date, Finish Date, and Resources all being pulled from MSProject to Planner. And you can add more tasks from MSProject to Planner, each as its own card. You then add this plan to a tab on Teams, and people can go from the plan to the document they're tasked to work on and back to the plan to mark their task complete, which then pushes back to MSProject as a completed task.

Wouldn't that be awesome?!

210 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joe shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone!

We’re still looking at how to build a deeper integration with Planner, a few small steps at a time. We’ve started some initial work, but always looking to hear more feedback!

Per our previous comment, we aren’t focusing on a 1:1 planner task:project task scenario (similar to a “sync”), rather improving the 1 planner plan: 1 project task scenario.

Please continue leaving comments and feedback, it’s all very helpful to us.

~Project

40 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not giving the possibility to users to choose the level of sync they want/need?
        For example having a parameter that will allow users to decide the level of sync:

- either 1:1 planner task:project task
        - or 1:1 planner plan:project task
        - and why not 1:1 planner plan:project plan

I can imagine this would be a complete different work to accomplish, but it would allow anyone to choose how they decide to work

Introduce 1:1 planner task to project task and I'll sign the company up, currently looking for a solution to assist with resource planning of staff involved with multiple Planner plans. If Project could give a consolidated view of all plans and tasks then it would solve the problem without having to go to third party resource.

• Jack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

or
        maybe a middle way would be a perfect way

let's maybe (optionally) connect a project task to an planner plan buket ?

• Jack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1:1 planner task:project task scenario would be much much better!

It would be giving a flexibility to have team oriented Planner plans (Planner is team oriented!) for more than one MS Project (Project is product oriented) or even give a -freedom- to organize splitting of planner plans

In case of working with programms where multiple projects are served witha limited pool of resouces (people) 1 planner plan: 1 project task scenario ends with an unusable amount of planner plans that can't be managed by a human

1:1 planner task:project task is so obvious in the meaning of terms!
        How do you will speak / explain the difference between project task and planner task?

Some contras for 1 planner plan: 1 project task scenario:
        - it excludes a possible benefits of rescheduling for planner tasks using the Project engine
        - it exludes a freedom of organizing planner planns - the only possible strure of planner planns will be the one that is imposed by project; this is in a fundamental conflict with planner organisation. Planner plans are team oriended

Please just publish a 1:1 card to task sync (and backwards, with time tracking and subtasking).
        Anything else can be published later on...
        It's really annoying having all those different plans and projects, loosing track of all of them...

This seems SO OBVIOUS, please let me send project tasks to a planner card, 1:1 card to task sync. I have 5 PMs and 100's of task workers in the org, Planner is so simple and Project is so complicated. This would fix all my task update/completion problems...

• Haley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great, we have a customer who is very interested in this as a part of the cloud platform. There are third party tools that offer it, looking forward to seeing what the Microsoft Team comes up with!

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with other supporters that the 1 project task: 1 planner card sync is a much more valuable use case than the 1 project task: 1 planner board.

I would like to see 1 task to 1 Planner Card sync. It would be great to be able to have the % complete show in the Project schedule. Team members could use Planner and the PM can sync in the Planner tasks needed for their schedule.

I'm going to agree with a lot of people here... I think what we want to see is the "Sync" mentioned. That Planner tasks sync up with MS Project tasks, but Planner provides a more "lightweight" user interface. I would also like to see bidirectionality... i.e. If you update % complete in Planner it pushes that status to Project and PWA and vice versa.

I would love to see a synchronized task environment too. Where tasks can be pushed from Project/PWA to Planner and even to Outlook. As well as back up the chain...

The 1 Planner to 1 task is not very useful. Right now in Project I can create a custom field and put in the hyperlink to a planner plan and accomplish the same functionality. I guess a slight improvement could be that every resource in that planner plan shows up against the task and that the overall status of the plan would reflect in the project task. Anyway, IMHO the 1 Planner Task to 1 Project Task is what would be useful. Thank you : )

• Trutz-Sebastian Stephani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can see an additional value with the 1 task : 1 planner card sync: This would directly go to Outlook in the same manner as the new ToDo sync. Then you could tick of tasks either in Outlook or Planner and you would have something that the Work Management feature in SharePoint 2013 tried to provide: all tasks in one place. Of course, this might prove problematic when you want to do timesheeting

• dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 1 planner plan : 1 project task scenario doesn't make sense and I can't think of a practical use case. The 1:1 sync is the only way to go; ideally POL would be an interface primarily for project managers while all resources could use Planner to monitor their work and sign offs.

The project sites are another issue.. I don't need multiple sites for each project. I agree the post below suggesting each project gets a teams site.

• Steffen Reister commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Planner should be the work managment Tool below Project Schedules, what at the end means that a Project Task/ Summary Task should be synched with detail Info from a Planner plan, like earliest start and latest end, progress - and what ever is wanted by the Project Manager. So make it somehow configurable which information from Planner should be synched to the linked Project Task into which Field (could be be a Custom Field also). We may have also custom Fields in Planner in the future!?
        I agree with Trutz but want to add that a link should be managed in Project Client or in POL - should be up to the user where he prefers to work!

I think the sync scenario is the only way to go.
        Ideally being able to create a link to planner based on a summary task/work package.
        This would created the plan in planner and all subordinate tasks are then created and progress synced between the two.

The issue we have is that smaller teams struggle with Project and are more familiar with light weight planning tools such as Trello or Wrike - Planner is a great fit for this but does not allow proper integration with our larger enterprise Projects.

Our departments work on their own small projects in Planner but also have to use Project for the larger cross department projects. Having them use one common light weight tool would be the goal

• Trutz-Sebastian Stephani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the whole infrastructure should be build up new.
        -Make POL compatible with Modern UI
        -Create a new MS Teams group for each new project and use the Teams SharePoint site as the Project Site
        -Then create Planner plans inside this group and link them to the tasks in the schedule
        -Linking and everything should not require the Project Professional client
        -Aggregated information from Planner should be synched to the project schedule: progress, assigned users, earliest start, latest due date

• John Houser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Admin - thanks for keeping this on the plate.

Is the plan to have a "sync" like feature between MS Project & MS Planner at some point? And you are looking for some small bite sized features that get us there?

Or is the "sync" like feature not in any plan for at least 3 years?

If a "sync" feature is not in the plan, I do not see this as helpful because my prjoects and project resources would be spread across 2 environments (cannot do all our resource planning and project reporting from one place - unless you have another solution for these coming out..).

If the "sync" feature is in the plan, then we could deconstruct what the end state looks like and begin releasing improvements each Quarter that get us there.

Example features that lead up to the "sync":
        * Create 1:1 linkage between project and Planner (view only, perhaps only at time of project creation)
        * 1:1 linkage with some 1 way updates (then release fields allowed to be updated over time)
        * 1:1 linkage with 2 way updates (release more and more fields until we get to "sync" status)
        etc...

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base