How can we improve Project?

MS Project Syncing to SharePoint

I am setting up a task list app on my project management office's sharepoint site. I can get MS Project and Sharepoint to sync just fine for all the default columns. Now I want a view that contains all the other columns we use, like duration, baseline start, baseline finish, actual finish, early/late start, and early/late finish.

When I initially set this up, I went to Map Fields button in MS Project and did the Add Field button. For column Baseline Start, make a Baseline Start column on the Sharepoint task list. And so on. It worked. Terrific. I save the app as a template with all the new columns. Then I added it to another project site and synced to a MS Project plan to test.

I go to Map Fields this time and see the Sharepoint columns, but when I click the MS Project column side, the column names from the plan don't all show up! It is baffling. For instance it doesn't give me the option to choose Actual Finish for Project to map to the Actual Finish of Sharepoint. The field type is set to Date and Time, so I tried to switch it to Single Text Line to see if I could get a different set of column options. Nope. Even more perplexing is it'll let me map Early Start and Late Start, but not Early Finish and Late Finish. And they are all set up the same way!

Do fields like these just have to be mapped new via Add Field every time, such that I won't be able to create a template that already looks just like the plan from Project? If so, then my improvement request is that it work the way I'm trying to make it to.

10 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ben shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →