How can we improve Project?

Sprint dates in "Manage Sprints" are not in-line with the dates from the plan

The new agile features within the client are good, but the sprint dates in the user interface 'Manage Sprints" are not mapped to the dates of the tasks in the actual plan. That should not be the case.

11 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Julian shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Julian!

I hear you on that – I wanted to make sure you knew we had the Sprint Start and Sprint Finish dates in there. We’ve heard similar feedback before, so now that your request is more clear, we’ll listen to more feedback and see what the best route is.

There’s a scenario of a hybrid classical method alongside the scrum ones, which is why we want to make sure we can still support that.

Thanks for the feedback – we’ll keep listening for this one. I’ve also marked this back to “Under Review” so more users can vote and comment on this.

~J

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's good news that MS is paying attention to sprints and Agile development style. However, I looked through the list of columns to insert in a current project in my recently installed MS Project 2016, and could not find Sprint Start or Sprint Finish, either under those names, or under dates. I would think that sprints would be treated differently, and might have subtasks and a sprint numbering scheme. Is there an update or patch that includes sprint/Agile support?

• Steffen Reister commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not doing this: Once a Task is assigned to a Sprint, set automatically a constraint date "Not earlier than" with the constraint date from the Field "Sprint Start". As you are preventing users from editing the constraint Fields - you can easily automatize this.

• Julian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, thanks for the reply. From my practical experience, companies do not switch from classical approaches to agile ones on a regular basis. This is a matter of company culture. However, if you just plan agile with the use of resources, you always have to manually adjust the core start/finish dates, right? And automated way to achieve this, e.g. with a flag, would be great. For a workaround, I'm pretty sure a macro would also do the job. It would be nice to get more user feedback on this one.

Feedback and Knowledge Base