Microsoft Project

Welcome to Microsoft Project’s UserVoice site. This is the site for all of your ideas and suggestions for Project Desktop, Project Server, and Project Online.

You can also take a look at our Announcement Blog as well as our Support Blog.

Tip and tricks :

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.
  • When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.
  • You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.
  • We will be following the same UserVoice Status Definitions that Visual Studio uses. “What does the status of my feedback mean?”

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Microsoft Project Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

How can we improve Project?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Grouping Question

Hi All,

I have almost 50 projects and trying to group them as per finish dates (MONTHLY INTERVALS) and I can't get the right formula to get this working. I know I already can group the projects based on finish dates, but I need to have monthly groups. Can anyone please help?

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Custom Fields and Lookup Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • More powerful PWA Views (Project Center, Resource and Detail views)

Configuration and UI of Project Center, Resource Center views can be made more powerful. Especially searching projects/resources should be made much simpler and easier with keyword search not custom filter. Configuration should be made similar to SharePoint views. More complex filtering and [Me] and [Today] based dynamic filtering should be allowed. Filtering, sorting should allow some calculated functions from excel or vba etc. Formatting like conditional formatting should be introduced.

13 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Views Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Azure Data Factory Template for Project Data Mart

With the new Azure Data Factory the need to use SSIS (which requires a VM or on-prem server) or a third-party tool for loading data into a data mart becomes unneccessary by using capabilities already available in the cloud. It would be great if a template could be provided that takes care of the initial load and the delta updates. It should just replicate all feeds as tables in an Azure SQL DB.

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Business Intelligence and Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Graphical WBS

Project lacks the ability to create a graphical WBS, which is the way a WBS should be created. On 2010 version there was a connector between Visio and Project with the ability to the WBS on Visio. It simply doesn't exist anymore.Why?

5 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Import holidays to Project Calendar

It should be possible to import national holidays into Project calendar, the same way we do it on Outlook.

4 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Bug: Team Assignment Pool Work not shown under Resource Pool > Capacity Planning

We have resources that are Team Assignment Pool resources with a certain capacity.
              The capacity is not set to 0 but to the maximum size to give Project Managers a rough estimate with the Red Overallocated Guy.
              Our project managers schedule their projects and assign tasks.
              Some tasks are assigned to specific users, some tasks are assigned to the team assignment pools.

Going to Resource Pool > Capacity Planning, neither work/assignments nor capacity of the team assignment pool resource is displayed. In fact, the whole team assignment pool resource is not displayed.

The bug: The whole team assignment pool resource…

2 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Resource Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Improve visual for saving process

When saving updates on a project, the field that shows if it's still processing or if the saving process is completed is only showing at the top of the page and doesn't move with when you are at the bottom of the page, very frustrating.

3 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Project Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Provide updates from the schedule view that will show up in a aggregate summary in Project Server from all tasks

It'd be great to be able to do a time-stamped quick update from the schedule view that will aggregate in Project Server or in Project where I can pull a report of updates since the last report. This would be great for me to review the status of the project overall. Currently, it's laborious to update the notes and it's not even possible for me to do quick updates, when I do verbal check-ins with my resources.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Project and Task Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Integrate a discussion feature that can be related to each task/deliverable

It'd be great to be able to have a discussion about each task and/or turn a discussion into a task/deliverable. This way the task can be discussed in detail, it will be more collaborative, and the details discussed can be retained without having to rehash the information all over again.

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Time and Task Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Enable the project Owner and Administrators (those with higher controls) to update project tasks from the PWA

It would be great if there was a see all project tasks view in the PWA, if you're a project owner/adminstrator, and update the projects with the percentage and with notes, like the assignee can. This would be great for maintaining updates, especially if in a time-sensitive and more collaborative environment.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Project and Task Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • 1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin Operations and Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Create link families

Some links are irrevocable
                          Some are strategic

It would be nice to be able to hide the irrevocables and to be able to easily identify and modify the strategic links.

Example: it is impossible to install false ceilings and / or false floors without having made the support beforehand. (Irrevocable)
                          It is impossible to install the false ceiling at the same time as the false floor but they can be done in iver way... there is a strategic link to make...

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • The period displayed when the screen first appears should be based on current date. For example, this is Dec. 16, yet a period for August s

The time period shown on the screen should be based on current date. For example, this is Dec. 16, yet a period for August shows on the screen. I have submitted a timesheet for August several times, only to have to back it out. Instead, I have to search for current period each time for data entry. Also, I send my timesheet to same person every week, yet I have to search for the name because the default name is first on the list. Again, I have had to back out.

4 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Time and Task Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • User Office 365 Groups with Project Sites

Make it possible to point Office 365 Groups to an existing project site so we can use the power of Groups for project e-mail communication while keeping the documents on the project site i.e. not creating a another document library that could split document location.

5 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin Operations and Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Date format options: add option the international standard format YYYY-MM-DD

Please add the option of the international standard date format ISO8601

YYYY-MM-DD

2 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• BUG: OData Assignment Timephase Data Modified Date

Currently in OData's AssignmentTimephaseData has AssignmentModifiedDate which is identical with the Project's ModifiedDate in OData.

Even if you dont change the Assignments everytime you publish the project, AssignmentModified Date becomes the Project Modified Date . This is wrong, it should not modify the assignment's modified date for which i have made no changes in Project (Basically, OData does not have Delta)

I feel, What Project Online doing is Blindly Delete the Assignments from the OData Feed and Inserting them again.

2 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Developer APIs (PSI, CSOM, ODATA...)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Bug: New Flag for Newly Added Tasks in My Task

Earlier in Project Server, there used to be a functionality to show if the Task in Project has been added new or not. there used to be a flag in the database from where we used to find the Delta on which Team member has not yet worked.

Currently, In Project Online no such flag is available.

2 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Office 365 ribbon : change Project link redirection behavior

Scenario for a multinational company with several business entities with only 1 Office 365 tenant.

Scenario : 2 PWA instances for 2 business entities
                                      - Instance "I1" (Default PWA instance on the tenant) with Admin "A1"
                                      - Instance "I2" (additional PWA instance created following article https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Set-up-another-Project-Online-site-d44b5a70-3df3-417e-bad8-3021e3a4c896) with Admin "A2"
                                      - Users from I1 have no access to I2 (and vice-versa).

When connected on any PWA instance (I1 or I2), end-users have a Project link in the Office 365 ribbon. The Project link is always pointing to the DEFAULT PWA instance home page (in our scenario : I1 home page).

10 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI and Look & Feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Allow the timescale to be modified for Timeline as it can be for GANTT Chart

Add the ability to select which 'Unit' to be utilized for the timescale in the Timeline, similar to what's currently available for the GANTT Chart.

The GANTT Chart currently has the following selections: Years, Half Years, Quarters, Months, Thirds of Months, Weeks, Days, Hours and Minutes.

I would expect the setting to be applied to the entire Timeline view, regardless of the number of Timeline bars that may be included. (one setting that would apply to all timeline bars).

6 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow multiple colors to differentiate nonworking days. Color 1 for weekends; color 2 for Holidays; color 3 for Inclement Weather; etc.

As a Construction Company, differentiating between various nonworking days with different colors would be a huge advantage over seeing all nonworking days as one color. We need a color for normal nonworking weekends; another color for weekends that must be changed to normal work days; another color for company holidays; another color for Owner specific holidays; another color to indicate the historical inclement weather days for each geographic location of the project; another color for Excessive Inclement Weather Days --- this will help with Time Extension Requests ---

Being able to select different colors for nonworking days just as we…

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base