Microsoft Project

Welcome to Microsoft Project’s Feedback Forum!

We love your feedback and look forward to hearing from you. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum for all of your ideas and suggestions for Project Desktop, Project Server, and Project Online. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. We will do our best to respond to the top suggestions.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Microsoft Project Team

1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Set default views by group / user

I would like to be able to prioritize the default views users see... not just the total list available to them, but which one actually gets set as their default.

Ideally I could do this per group, and in turn prioritize the order of groups as would apply to the experience I want someone to have.

So if group 1 has views A & B (ranked in that order), group 2 has views A & C, and group 3 has view D...., and groups were ranked in that numerical order, then someone in 1 & 2 would see A, B,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Change the name of the "Units" column in the Task Form to "Init. Units" (or Initial Assigned Units).

If a resource is assigned to a task for the first time with an amount of work the Units field is calculated based upon the existing duration of the task. This Units field will not change anymore when editing the working hours per resource in the Task Form. This is what beginners do not expect. The Units field reflects the initial assigned units not the current avarage peak units. The title however does not tell that to the user.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Link to project details on the project (sub)site

An automatically created link in the left navigation menu of the Project site to the related project detail page.

It is a lot of click work now to go first back to the project center and then finding and clicking your project link to get to the detail pages.

Our users have a lot of projects in their portfolio so easily clicking back and forth from the detail pages to the project site is really a must.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Estimating view needed. It needs to support development of initial estimates, scaling for a new schedule, and de-scaling to improve data.

After developing a schedule template, scheduling a past project develops initial estimating data. Scaling that data for future schedules gives fact based estimates, not subjective numbers. Capturing actuals and de-scaling provides a means to improve the template's data. Accumulated data could be graphed to support single point or range estimates. The technique could be similar to the method PriceWatersCooper developed (Summit), sold to IBM, which hid it in favor of Rational. Providing a MS Project estimating feature could really swing market share for Microsoft Project.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Master Project resource pool assignment

When you use a Master Project to implement a Program in the sense of PMBok, you have "program activities", ie projects and other activities. These activities may need resources assigned to them. BUT its not possible to edit the Team for the master project. So it's not possible to assign pool resources to these kind of activites of the program.

It would be useful to edit Teams for a Master Project to assign resources from the enterprise pool to actvities not belonging to a subproject.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Enable Corporate Buying of licenses for Office Add-in for Project

Currently it Centralized Deployment is only possibly for free Add/ins [1]. Paid Add-ins are only possible by additional purchase.
    Please add support for paid Apps.

[1] https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Deploy-Office-add-ins-in-the-Office-365-admin-center-737e8c86-be63-44d7-bf02-492fa7cd9c3f

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. FIX THE BUG WHICH CAUSES ERROR IF A question MARK OR AN AMPERSAND

FIX THE BUG WHICH CAUSES ERROR IF A question MARK OR AN AMPERSAND Dear Ches
    As your technician Ches saw from my screen an error message was popping up which appears to be related to an invalid character. I usually do no use Sharepoint and save ALL my files locally. I suspect that even though I don’t use Sharepoint, Project is designed as if every user does use Sharepoint.
    Can I switch that off ??

Can I suggest that this issue (illegal character) be put into the knowledge base also that the error message be changed so that the specific…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. add functional in box version - search on projects

please add in box version project server serach projects function

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. how i can use new kind of resources as - autsorsing or freelance person ?

it`s seems me -
    we can use new kind (4-th) of resource as - "finansional"
    only - summ of money for paining for using 4-th kind of resources at shot time or finish time point....?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. make the status manager the ability to edit its tasks in the project

the status manager can be the resource manager and all the tasks assigned to the resource, the status manager (resource manager) must arrive to approve and publish them.

you need to create a column for the status manager for each task so that you can select tasks belonging to different status managers (managers of resources)

make it possible to edit these tasks by status managers
    for the possibility of delegation of task decomposition in a large project

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Flexibility of 'Default Timesheet Creation Mode'

Currently Project Online has a 'Default Timesheet Creation Mode' which allows you to default to task, project or no pre-population values.

Our use case would like to see the ability to use a hybrid rather than a global toggle. For example some Projects could be set to used task, and some to use project level timesheet pre-population.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Hide nonworking time columns in a MS Project chart or view

When planning a short time project, task or activity, nonworking time seems to take so much space that it diminishes all other important information. In Team Planner and Gantt Chart, for example, nonworking time columns take most of the space when following hourly precision tasks. It would be great to be able to Hide or reduce or customize nonworking time columns.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Project Baseline Timestamp is not included in XML header

If you save a project with a baseline as xml file, the baseline values are included within the xml, but not the creation date of the baseline. It would be very helpful, if the timestamp is also included in the xml header.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Make it possible to navigate to Project Site from My Tasks

If I am in My Tasks and look at them , the project name appears at the top , but there is no link to it. The task is a clickable link, and when clicking at it, I get into the task details, but still no link to the project site.

As a team member I would like to have the possiblity to navigate to the project site for a specific task. This is a very obvious need when you are a team member working on many tasks on many projects. It reduces the team members clicks and time to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Dynamics 365 Operations - Projects

Dynamics 365 Operations - Projects (AX-Projects) and Project Online: Spring Release 2017.
    We manage (WBS, Change Orders, Baselines, Schedule, Etc...) in Project Online. We collect ALL our costs with AX-Projects. For example all Time collections is done within AX-Projects with AX-Projects Activities.

We do this because AX-Projects does not honor correctly base lining a project as per PMI PIMBOK standards. THIS IS A HUGE GAP with AX-Projects.

Please provide EXCELENT ODATA, Common Data Model and BI Support so that we can do this more effectively share data from AX-Projects to Project Online and Create BI Dashboards to be able to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Admin to be notified about all failed jobs

In Project Online, a user can be notified about his own jobs only. It would be good to automatically notify an admin when any job fails, regardless of owner.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Complete Project Management Solution

I don't see Project online have any option for managing additional info like process compliance, Delivery, Revenue loss, Customer escalations etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Typos / Error reporting

Hi there.

There's a typo in an error message that comes up that I wanted to report. See the attached picture.

Also, there should be an easier forum for reporting typos/bugs. I had to go via the Contact Us page, speak to an agent and get the link to find this page (which seems overly complicated to me). One way that does work, is the Kindle Reader whereby you can report a typo / error just by highlighting the text. Something similar would be really helpful. Otherwise, I enjoy working with MSP - I like the improvements that have been…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. customized work contour

provide a possibility to make your own work contour
    allow work contour to apply on material as well

1 vote
    Sign in