Project Online

Welcome to Microsoft Project’s Feedback Forum for Project Online!

We love your feedback and look forward to hearing from you. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum for all of your ideas and suggestions for Microsoft Project offerings. The Project team regularly reviews the ideas and incorporates them into product planning discussion.

Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. We will do our best to respond to the top suggestions.

We look forward to hearing from you!
The Microsoft Project Team

1. Give us a way to read all useful task fields from Project Online

Is there is a supported way for Microsoft partners to read local custom fields residing in Project Online? What appears to be the case is that CSOM is supported for Project Online, but PSI is not. Furthermore PSI gives access to local custom fields but CSOM does not. Thus there is no supported solution that allows read access to local custom fields in Project Online. I hope I am missing something here. It would be great to know if I am wrong or if there is a workaround. Failing that, it would be great to get an enlargement of CSOM…

130 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Access to multiple PWA instances with Project tile

Scenario for a multinational company with several business entities with only 1 Office 365 tenant.

• As for now, to access any new PWA instance (different from the default PWA instance) through the Office 365 interface,
    1) Tenant administrator has to create a new Custom Tile in the Company Profile in the O365 Admin Center (as described in article "Add custom tiles to the My apps page and app launcher" https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Add-custom-tiles-to-the-My-apps-page-and-app-launcher-1136115a-75af-4497-b693-640c4ce70bc6?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US and "Customising the App Launcher– Part Two–Custom Tiles" https://epmsource.com/2015/08/02/customising-the-app-launcher-part-twocustom-tiles/)
    2) End-user has to **manually** add the new tile to its App Launcher

• The default Project tile (pointing…

88 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all!

We have a new default experience that we call Project Home that you can access through the Project tile. Project Home allows you to see all of your recent/favorite projects across different PWA instances through the click of the Project tile.

As always, thank you for your feedback. As any additional feedback comes up through this area, please share them with us through Uservoice under /Project Home.

~J

3. modern experience for project online

Get the whole modern experience available on a (existing) PWA site collection including the option to create modern site pages.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone -

The new Project is here …

Project offers a redesigned user experience that is simple and intuitive. Teams can quickly add new members and set up tasks, and then easily switch between grids, boards, or timeline (Gantt) charts to track progress. And because Project is part of the Microsoft 365 family, project teams can save time and do more with built-in connections to familiar apps like Microsoft Teams and Office.

This highlights the “modern” look and feel that has been requested.

Learn more here:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2019/10/29/new-microsoft-project-rolls-out-worldwide/?wt_mc_id=aid2409681_qsg_373162&ocid=aid2409681_qsg_373162

https://products.office.com/en-us/project/simple-project-management

4. Allow multiple team resources to apply for a task that has been assigned to a team resource (allow 1:n replacement for team resources)

Use cases:
    -Unknown team members due to team size and/or existence of subteams
    -Use of a resource dispatcher role, that does only resource assignments but no planning activities on the schedule
    -Administrative projects for illness and Training
    -Planning of skills for work package activities, that can be executed by anyone of the (project) team later on --> agile approach

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Modern SharePoint and Project Online

Modern SharePoint and Project Online
    MS has made ALOT of feature improvements with the modern SharePoint. However not all those features extend to Project online.

I'd like to be able to replace my project detail pages with the more robust PowerApps and Flow.
    Those PDP are so old school and do not allow much in the way of dynamic content.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone -

The new Project is here …

Project offers a redesigned user experience that is simple and intuitive. Teams can quickly add new members and set up tasks, and then easily switch between grids, boards, or timeline (Gantt) charts to track progress. And because Project is part of the Microsoft 365 family, project teams can save time and do more with built-in connections to familiar apps like Microsoft Teams and Office.

A bit different than exactly what is requested, however, Project for the web adopts the Microsoft Power Platform, so there are opportunities enabled by PowerApps, Flow and CDS. We are also highlighting the “modern” look and feel that has been requested.

Learn more here:
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Project-Blog/The-new-Project-is-rolling-out/ba-p/909721
    https://products.office.com/en-us/project/simple-project-management

Thanks all! Looking forward to seeing more of your feedback.

6. Configure O365 App Launcher to another PWA Site Collection (Other than default)

The current Project Online button in the O365 App Launcher (Waffle) cannot be configured and only points to the default PWA site. If another PWA site is created it cannot be directed to using this control.

This is confusing for users as this is the most visible navigation method.

An option to configure the file path for this would be ideal.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all!

We have a new default experience that we call Project Home that you can access through the Project tile in the o365 App Launcher. Project Home allows you to see all of your recent/favorite projects across different PWA instances through the click of the Project tile.

As always, thank you for your feedback. As any additional feedback comes up through this area, please share them with us through Uservoice under /Project Home.

~J

7. Office 365 ribbon : change Project link redirection behavior

Scenario for a multinational company with several business entities with only 1 Office 365 tenant.

Scenario : 2 PWA instances for 2 business entities
    - Instance "I1" (Default PWA instance on the tenant) with Admin "A1"
    - Instance "I2" (additional PWA instance created following article https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Set-up-another-Project-Online-site-d44b5a70-3df3-417e-bad8-3021e3a4c896) with Admin "A2"
    - Users from I1 have no access to I2 (and vice-versa).

When connected on any PWA instance (I1 or I2), end-users have a Project link in the Office 365 ribbon. The Project link is always pointing to the DEFAULT PWA instance home page (in our scenario : I1 home page).

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all!

We have a new default experience that we call Project Home that you can access through the Project tile. Project Home allows you to see all of your recent/favorite projects across different PWA instances through the click of the Project tile.

~J

8. Allow opening new tabs for each project from Project Center

Previously in PWA, it is possible to open a new tab for the project by pressing CTRL + click project description.

Recently this feature has been disabled and is preventing new tab from being opened. Please consider letting the admin choose the options!

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Improve oData request

Make available Timephased data on a Monthly basys additionally to the time by DAY.
    Request oData feed on a daily basys is not usable on "big" projects of some years. Be able to request on a monthly basis will decrease the amount of data to request and store.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Notifications & Better reporting for Resource Engagements

Resource Engagments were rolled out to Project Online in 2015 and notifications in CY 2016.

However, notifications do not allow for offering the Resource Managers notifications. So, Resource Engagements should also be a part of the notifications.

In addition to this, better reporting (more columns in the odata feeds) should be enable to better track and report your Resource Portfolio.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You actually can turn on notifications for resource engagements. As long as you have notifications turned on for your tenant, when you go to Resource Center, select the resources you’d like to receive notifications for, then in the ribbon click “Request Reminders”. This button should be visible next to “Print”. If you don’t see this button, then it likely means that notifications are not turned on for your tenant.

Hope this helps!

As for oData feeds, this might be better addressed in a new suggestion.

- Julie Kohler

11. Make the the (PWA) field "Locked" available i MS Project

As a Project Manager
    I would like to have the (PWA) field "Locked" available i MS Project
    So that I can prevent team members to "accidentally" book actual work on tasks where I have set "Remaing work" to zero.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Change the German translation of the new Project Online Timephased Data Report section

The translation of "reporting" in the PWA Settings is not "Fehlerberichterstattung" in German. Actually, this isn't a German word...

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Be active in UserVoice

It's discouraging to see almost none of the user voice entries for Project Online commented on nor updated by Microsoft. Did this stop being exciting for you? Seems like planner has taken over the hot seat - but that's not really a replacement for project online.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi all,

We’ve been working actively to respond to and update status for UserVoice entries, especially those that are gaining traction.

Don’t worry – we’re listening and reading every entry. Please keep leaving feedback, we love hearing your thoughts and ideas to improve our product.

~J

14. Changes to the OData Table Structure and Content should be announced in advance

When new fields or changes to existing fields are made to OData reporting (improvements), they need to be announced in advance of the rollout.

If you have integrated reporting solutions such as SSIS (OData to SQL), the schema will need to be maintained to match Project Online.

Improvements and changes that are made server side, need to be communicated.

Proposed Solution: Changes to OData are posted in the Office 365 Admin Center, with a corresponding article (MSDN? and blog?)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi!

We’ve been excited to announce all of our OData reporting improvements that have been happening. In our recent updates, we’ve announced the changes through the Office 365 Admin Center, and then updating users through MSDN and the Office Support. We’ve already been doing your proposed solution, so I am “completing” this request.

I can’t link you to the Office 365 Admin Center post that you would have seen, but here are links to the MSDN and Office Support articles surrounding the recent OData Timephased Data changes:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/office/dn776317.aspx

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Configure-rollup-of-timephased-reporting-data-in-Project-Online-da8487fe-899e-4510-a264-e2ebc948928c?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Please let us know if you have any other suggestions for us!

~J

15. Enable alerts and notifications in Project Online

In Project Online, you need to be able to access the Main Administration in SharePoint in order to be able to send alerts and notifications in an automated way. Today, as we are unable to reach the SharePoint Admin, no Alerts or Notifications can be set. Need to be able to configure these alerts.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. [Bug] Can't open a project in Microsoft Project In Google Chrome

Using Googe Chrome, I can't open a project in Microsoft Project. Please check the attached screenshot.

P.S: I have faced this issue in Project Server 2016 / 2013.

I also have mentioned all details on my blog

http://blog.devoworx.net/2018/03/26/sorry-we-were-unable-to-open-your-project-please-try-again-if-this-happens-again-contact-your-administrator

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi!

This isn’t exactly a suggestion, but you can find the fields in the OData tables, as Collin mentions below. Feel free to try using the new Project Online Content Pack in Power BI (available on PowerBI) to understand how to retrieve data fields and build charts in Power BI. The content pack contains variations of prebuilt reports and charts using different Project Online fields.

I’m closing out this suggestion as “complete” – hopefully you were able to build the Power BI reports you needed!

~J

18. predecessor

Where is predecessor column?? Mac MS Project 365 does not automatically display it. Are you kidding me-- one of the most important columns of a project schedule!!!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Ability to move tasks up or down with keyboard like Task List

In a SharePoint Task List a user can move a task up or down with the keyboard using "Alt+Shift+Up" and "Alt+Shift+Down" respectively. This should be available in Project as well. The ability to Indent and Outdent are already there.

* From SharePoint Task List Shortcuts
    Insert - Insert
    Indent - Alt+Shift+Right
    Outdent - Alt+Shift+Left
    Move Up - Alt+Shift+Up
    Move Down - Alt+Shift+Down

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)