Project "Home" better compatibility with multiple PWA sites
The new Project Home concept looks a good start (from Brian Smith's recent post) but there are a few things that could do with some refinement for those customers with multiple Project Web App sites as some of our customers do.
The list of recent projects could with some metadata to describe the container site of the project (maybe the EPT would suffice here but no reason why this couldn't be the site description)
the New Project directing to the /PWA site is gong to be awkward when /PWA is used simply as a landing page (which has been our strategy to date) where security trimmed links to the various corporate PWA Sites are held. Again it would be good to be able to address the EPT in the list so that this can be (potentially) used to describe the site, but a list of options by site (where permissions apply) would again be better still.
A link to the associated project site rather than simply the EPT would be useful too from a PM perspective.
We listened and agreed with your feedback on Project Home to be more compatible with the right PWA sites, so we committed and released a capability where Project Home users can now change the default PWA site to their preferred PWA site. This allows Project Home users to control the creation location of new Project Online projects, and to navigate more easily to desired PWA sites from Project Home.
You can learn more about how to use this feature here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Project-Blog/Change-Your-Default-PWA-Site-for-Project-Home/ba-p/353439
This feature will rollout to tenants gradually over a period of time. Please let us know if there are any questions or comments, we’re actively listening to you all.
~The Project Team
This is a good improvement, much needed. But we still have additional issues. We currently have 3 PWA sites, soon to add more. So we can't choose just one to direct everyone too. We need to be able to present a link to all available PWA sites to the user, so they can navigate to the correct instance.
Trutz-Sebastian Stephani commented
Please add also a possibilty to customize the Create Project button with a custom link. Some customers use an ideation/demand process in front of the project creation. It would be good if the Create option could also be redirected or extended by a link to a custom form.
The tooltip provides the url to the Project site for now
Thanks for your feedback. We are working on this. Will keep you posted
The online home page is not useful if you do not have multiple instances of PWA in my opinion. Having the internal navigation in O365 going to this page makes end users more likely to feel lost. It does not assist people who are using project online as a timesheeting tool and this may be the only reason they are going into the tool.
Trutz-Sebastian Stephani commented
The Create New functionality is also misleading for organizations that have an ideation process in place that starts in SharePoint or another tool. It should be possible to change the links behind the create new button or deactvate it.
Miroslav Harlas commented
New Project Online Home Page which was announced few months ago and which was rolled out recently ( https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/projectsupport/2018/07/19/project-online-new-home-page-for-users/ ) is providing interesting capability of having a list of projects from multiple PWA instances at a single place, however it is not providing necessary capability of Project Online "landing" page expected by end users.
Current issues of Project Online Home Page from user perspective:
- Home page contains "Create Project" button which is not working if user has no rights to create projects in "default PWA", our users are trying to use this button and they are getting errors.
- Name "Create Project" button is misleading as it can create projects in "default PWA" only, there is no option how to choose in which PWA the project will be created and our users are confused.
- List of Projects on Project Online Home Page is not showing information about in which PWA is project located. If you have two projects created in two different PWAs but with exactly same name, you cannot recognize which project is that one you want to open.
- Project Online Home Page contains lists of projects but not list of existing PWAs from tenant. Please, add PWA sites with similar experience as we have on SharePoint Online home page, where we can see the SharePoint sites which we are accessing the most and where we can put SharePoint sites into favorites. Please, do the similar for Project Online PWA sites.
- "Project" button in O365 app launcher was pointing to .../sites/pwa/default.aspx for many years. We customized this original page/site so it was working as a good entry point for end user and crossroad across many PWAs. When you introduced Project Online Home Page, it is useful for some users but for some others it is one step back. Please, resolve issues mentioned above and/or provide us with capability to customize Project Online Home Page in the same way as we can customize SharePoint site/page, incl. having custom web parts, granular item-level permissions, etc...
The same for me... The "Create New Project" button puts users in confusion in case they have more then one PWA
Paul W Mather commented
On the 3 links in Project Home that link to PWA - the Project link on the top nav, the Create New button and the Go to Project Web App, support other PWA instances. Make it an user preference setting within Project Home so each end user can configure which PWA instance these links navigate to.
Oleksiy Prosnitskyy commented
Select tenant when click "create new". Not only by default "sites/pwa"