How can we improve Project Online?

Roadmap allow zooming to quarters and years.

Roadmap zoom should be allow to zoom down to quarters or years. This would allow viewing Roadmaps that are many years in the planning.

43 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone!

Thanks for this suggestion. Please keep sharing what level of zoom you use Roadmaps for!

Here are some questions that can spark discussion in the comments that can help us build the right scenarios into Roadmap:

What duration do you use the Roadmap (1 quarter, 1 year, 5 years…etc)? What type of work are you tracking to use this time period? Would you use multiple views or stay on one – and why?

Thanks everyone, looking forward to reading comments and discussions in this topic!

~J

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Adam Ismail commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The advantage of an app like this is that it is flexible, so setting an arbitrary maximum timeframe for the zoom will not help a portion of users...no matter what the timeframe. Why not just set the max zoom to cover the last date in the roadmap, so that when it is fully zoomed out, you can see the entire roadmap? This would also allow for the roadmap to be used in PowerPoint or other apps companies use for reporting.

• Ahmed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

5 years would be ideal | ½ yearly view showing the next 6 years

• Kris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to see it by month, but be able to see at least 18 -24 months at once. Need less horizontal real estate taken-up by each month so more can fit.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with everything. Would be very helpful if we can view by month, quarter, bi-annual, yearly, 5 years. Multiple views can be used depending on which governance (Exec) committee / board is looking at it. Mostly they looked at phases, milestones and investment flows.

• Prasanna Adavi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of a "zoom" option and trying to pre-decide how many years, can we make years "selectable" - multiple at the same time (like a slicer in excel), and then allow the zoom just be a quarter, month, week, day drill down? This way, if somebody wants 10 years outlook (like pharma/research projects), they can get it too.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second the opinion of having atleast 5 year overview feature in the Roadmap. The Executives in my company wants to see a high level overview (including milestones and critical timeline) of all important projects planned for next 5 years. I was hoping Roadmap would be a good tool to provide this sort of functionality but to my surprise timeline is very restricted here. I would be excited to see some advancement this tool.

• Ben Howard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree here, roadmaps are often multi - year, I think having a 5 year overview is required.

• Jürgen Neyses commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree. I have a need of showing a roadmap across multiple years to give clear direction of where we are heading overall. Additionally I need to show the details of an epic for coming PI / Month on a feature level

Feedback and Knowledge Base