How can we improve Project Online?

Roadmap needs ability to add rows for proposed projects

Roadmap needs ability to add rows for proposed projects. Currently way to do this, requires me to create a dummy project and published.

20 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all!

Thanks for the suggestion. We’d love to understand more around this scenario.

Would you be adding tasks and milestones? Do you ever expect to connect this row to a project, or create a project? What happens after the proposal state to the row? Why else would you be creating blank rows and tasks? Would you have a roadmap with both types of rows?…

The comments below are very helpful already, so please keep them coming! We want to better understand why customers need this scenario fulfilled.

~J

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Torben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We keep all proposed projects as projects and flag by name if they are tentative (still discussed at roadmap level). I prefer that milestones and schedules are generated and maintained only one place = in projects.

• Tim Runcie (MVP) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

End users may want to tell the story about work that may not be available in the connect to drop down. This will allow the end users to not only add key dates, connect to other schedules or apps, but also tell the story with generic tasks that are not connected to any tool.

• Kris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, it would be very helpful to be able to use projects that are not-linked. These would be proposed projects, or even actual project-ish activities that don't actually have a project plan.

To answer your questions:

Adding tasks and milestones could be helpful, certainly the ability to add a start and end date so that a bar will appear on the roadmap to indicate when in the future the project might happen.

I would expect that we would want to be able to connect to the row to a project at a later point. Creating a project based on the row would also be very helpful.

I don't think anything would happen to the row, it should just be able to be filtered out. Perhaps a status that indicates the row was either canceled or completed, then filtering can be done on that status.

I'm not sure why else you would create blank rows. The only reason I could think of is a placeholder for a proposed future project, or to represent a project that doesn't have a plan, or has a plan but isn't able to be integrated. (For example, it is a project being managed by a vendor, but uses your resources so you want it as part of your roadmap with a start and end date)

We would absolutely want both types of rows on the same roadmap. Both types being rows that get their milestones from a linked project and rows that are placeholders where we enter a start and end.

My basic need, for us to really be able to use this, would to at least be able to enter a start and end date for an "un-linked" row and have it display the bar on the roadmap.

Thanks!

• Trutz-Sebastian Stephani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As others already suggested I see the proposal scenario, where a roadmap row and its items are linked later(maybe even pushed down to the respective tool) and the not-yet-supported tool scenario, where I can add items manually or using a flow( and just store a link and an id to the other tool item).

• S.Bots commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very useful suggestion. You can already create an empty row, but you cannot create details for it.

• Nate Auchter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another way to say this is that "Roadmap should allow you to create rows and items that are NOT LINKED to a project".

• B SAI PRASAD (MVP) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am thining of scenarios where full project plans might not exist, or do exist but are in a different (non-project/Azure) tool which doesn't yet integrate.

• Oleksiy Prosnitskyy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes. good scenario - ppm creates structure of projects with milestone in roadmap - pm creates detailed structure of project with no possibility to move phases and ms from roadmap

Feedback and Knowledge Base