How can we improve Project Online?

Roadmap export

I'd like the ability to export or print a roadmap to PDF to make it easier to share for status reporting with non-Project users.

39 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Andrew shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone! Thanks for the feedback again.

I’ve broken this down into two general scenario requests and have some more questions.

Scenario 1) I want to share my Roadmap with a stakeholder but I don’t want them to have editing capabilities, or they might not even have a Project license. Follow ups – is this RO stakeholder a part of the team/group in the Roadmap?

Scenario 2) I want to export or print to share or present the Roadmap with (possibly outside) stakeholders (whether this is in PPT presentation or a physical printout). Follow ups – why not screenshot the view and put it in PPT or then print?

Thanks for your inputs!! We’re listening and thinking hard about your scenarios.

~J

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to export to PDF/PPT with the ability to print the entire timeline or by date range is desirable. I report to upper management/executives who either are non Project users or prefer this information as a physical document. This would also allow sharing with others on the project team who may not be in the same organization (subcontractor or 3rd party). Screenshots are not ideal especially when the timeline continues beyond the single screen.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Scenario 1) Most likely, the roadmap would be shared internally, with upper management in my company. They would not have Project licenses, nor would we want to assign them full Project licenses just to view roadmaps. Guest or read-only access would be preferable (without requiring a paid Project license). Keep in mind that they may not even care about the details in the underlying connected projects, nor would they want to have to sign in to Project to view this information. That is why a print/export is still preferable.

Scenario 2) Yes, this is possible, but cumbersome if the roadmap scrolls at all. I'd still prefer a native print/export capability that preserves formatting and saves end users the trouble of manually stitching together a roadmap.

• James Whitehead commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am same as Adam Ismail below if you have a timeline going beyond the screen you have to capture it several times and stitch together be good to have this capability into image but as Adam mentions the sizing is always going to be a problem.

Scenario 1) The RO stakeholder can be part of the team just does not have a licence but it could also be a guest outside the org but part of the project i.e. a 3rd party who is working with you to deliver the project.

Scenario 2) As above it is not always easy to grab the entire view mind you it never had been in MS Project other than the add timeline and then able to Copy Timeline to (email, presentation and fullsize) this is a start and give similar capabilities

• Adam Ismail commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The screenshot only works for the visible timeframe, but longer Roadmap cannot be captured via screenshot since one cannot zoom in and out of the timeline.

I did manage to do this for a Roadmap that extended three years, but had to take multiple separate screenshots and stitch them together. The problem then, was that the font was too small to read on the PPT slide, so I then created shapes over the stitched image to be able to include readable fonts.

• James Whitehead commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes when we report outside wider than the project to stakeholders they only want to see the roadmap very much the same functions you get in the timeline in project but need this in the roadmap to save as an image or export into Powerpoint as an embeded image

• Tex Rickard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When reporting upwards / outwards in the organisation it's often a requirement to share updates on multiple parts of the business at the same time and therefore logging into a single roadmap is not appropriate. Therefore exporting into a powerpoint slide or pdf would be a great way of sharing at scale.

• BWork commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Leadership needs the ability to review a plan on the page in a printed version they can write on or take with them. It would be great to have a read only view for stakeholder, but that would be a different feature request. (Let's get them both!)

• Max Tran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the option to add as user with read-only permissions and export as PPT/PDF would be extremely valuable! It would be very beneficial from a reporting perspective.

Read-only permissions are great for project stakeholders to be informed of the high-level schedule not only of individual projects, but the entire portfolio. This is especially useful when the portfolio consists of many projects which makes it hard to report on in just a static snapshot view.

• Ian Blumel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Occasionally we have present the road map as part of a slide deck. Typically with a preamble, and a deep dive discussion afterwards faciliated by the deck.

It would be good to re-use this road map view in both the context of a shareable link by all, and present the same data to view in a power point presentation.

Being able to make a clean screen shot/image capture for download would be ideal

• Allan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our primary reason for adopting roadmaps would be in order to share with upper management, so we need the ability to share with them as well. PPT/PDF/PNG export would be essential for that. We would also like to have a license for roadmap viewers, who don’t need to interact with projects in any other way.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to export the roadmap so that I can share it with upper management (who are all non Project users). To that end, being able to export to PDF/PPT is the ideal solution.

A read-only share mode *might* be acceptable in certain scenarios, but only if it wouldn't require a Project subscription to simply view the roadmap. Nevertheless, this alternative requires more effort for my target audience to have to get the information for themselves rather than allow me to pull it into a presentation for them.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, The ability to export to a PPT or PDF is a must have for executive reports. Would like to have PowerBI reporting as well

Feedback and Knowledge Base